Thursday, October 9, 2014

Seeking Mentors

I doubt I’d be what I am today without the influence of key teaching/tutoring mentors throughout my life. During my time in the private sector, I found refuge from the corporate approach to learning by embracing the methods of fellow, experienced tutors. Whether intentional or not, they guided me in my understanding of the art of teaching and of managing the student-teacher dynamic.
             
One figure in particular, Chris, helped me recognize the importance of being able to both take the education and tutoring process seriously while also having a sense of humor about yourself and the student. With him, kids had a good time, and I could tell that he did as well. He is a natural born teacher and, in fact, works professionally at a public school now. But at the time, he put plenty of hours into the big-box tutoring company that the two of us met through.

Chris taught me that teaching dynamics are social dynamics. When dealing with kids, you need to embrace the kid within yourself—to an extent. You need to think like a teenager, utilize the natural authority granted to you by your position, and “lead the gang”, whether it be you and one other student or a group of 10. This usually means being funny, outgoing, teasing, and quick on your feet. Empathy is the key and perhaps heart of real teaching because students seek to learn from you when they respect you as a person.
              
At the same time, you can never forget you are an adult. I became quite adept at recognizing when shenanigans had gone too far and summoning a harsh tone to quiet the situation down. Furthermore, while most students enjoy being treated as an equal by an adult, it is important to correctly judge when that equality reaches the end of its fuse—stress and tough social situations can overwhelm a student.
              
Working with adults calls on similar empathetic skills, but offers a unique variety of intellectual challenges. Meeting with a 50 year old man or woman can be intimidating for me at 27; how do I reach someone who has twice the life experience as I? Though stressful, this creates a symbiotic tutoring relationship: whereas with children I embrace my inner-child, with adult students I rise to the standard. I grow internally while the student grows intellectually.

All of this insight started with a mentor who showed, not told me how to look at teaching and tutoring. Perhaps it is natural; we teachers seek to mentor and we understand the value of a mentor for ourselves. To this day I remain friends with Chris and we talk about school and I ask my questions about his career. I am still learning, every time something new.

What more could a tutor ask for?     

No comments:

Post a Comment